oil on canvas
78 õ 110,5
Majestic monuments of medieval Moscow architecture are the main "heroes" of Alekseev’s landscape. In the foreground the artist showed the bridge over Neglinka river, leading to Voskresensky (Iversky) Gate with two through passages in its bottom part and two tent-roofed towers on top of it. Iverskaya Chapel is located at the Gate between the two passages. The building of the Main Pharmacy adjoins the Gate from the left. Initially the pharmacy building was occupied with the university. In the right part of the picture Arsenalnaya tower of the Moscow Kremlin is situated. Between Voskresenskye Gate and Arsenalnaya tower there is a part of Kitaigorodskaya Wall. On its left the Mint Place can be seen. The sunlight paints all the landscape in warm, golden tones. When looking attentively at the numerous townspeople, crowding the square, it is possible to understand how Muscovites of the turn of 18th -19th centuries look like. Carriages, vehicles, horsemen, horses, dogs – everything is important to the artist, creating the image of the first capital city of Russia. In 1917 the picture was presented to the Gallery by P.A.Buryshkin.
at 10, Lavrushinsky Lane, Hall 6