Elisei Tretyakov, a great-grandfather of Pavel Tretyakov, came to Moscow with his family
The Tretyakovs was an ancient, but not wealthy merchant family. In 1774, at the age of seventy the Third Guild merchant Elisei Tretyakov, a great-grandfather of Pavel Tretyakov, came to Moscow with his family, consisted of his wife Vasilisa and two sons - Zakhar and Osip. The family settled down in the neighborhood of St. Alexis Church between Tverskaya and Nikitskaya streets.
Napoleon's invasion of Russia. Patriotic War
Was born the future founder of the Gallery Pavel Tretyakov
Mikhail Zakharovich Tretyakov died. All movable and immovable property went to his sons, Pavel and Sergei, who successfully continued their father's business.
The main building of the Gallery is on Lavrushinsky Lane, in Zamoskvorechye - traditionally merchant district of Moscow. As the collection grew, rooms specially designed for works of art were attached.
The Tretyakov family bought the house in Lavrushinsky lane – the future main building of the Gallery
1856 is generally considered to be the year when the Tretyakov Gallery was first founded because it was in this year that. Pavel Tretyakov bought his first two paintings by Russian artists: Nikolay Shilder's "Temptation" and Vasily Khudyakov’s "Skirmish with Finnish smugglers". It is possible that it was around this time that Tretyakov first considered creating a national gallery of Russian paintings.
The abolition of serfdom
Wedding of Pavel Mikhailovich Tretyakov and Vera Nikolaevna Mamontova, cousin of the famous patron of arts Savva Ivanovich Mamontov
Pavel Tretyakov acquires several works by K.P.Bryullov. Аmong them was the famous "Rider" – one of the best ceremonial works of the artist
Artist I.N.Kramskoy lives at Tretyakov's house and works on the portraits of family members
Pavel Tretyakov gets icons from I.L.Silin's collection. This acquisition marked the beginning of the collection of Ancient Russian Art at the Tretyakov gallery.
House-museum of the famous artist Victor Vasnetsov. The house was built in the late XIX century on the basis of author's sketches and stores 24 thousand exhibits.
In August of 1892 Pavel Tretyakov bestowed his art gallery to Moscow City. News about the incredible generosity of Pavel Tretyakov’s gift to Moscow, spread all over the city, and in December 1896 he was proclaimed an Honourable Citizen of Moscow.
Pavel Tretyakov became an honorary citizen of the city of Moscow
Death of Pavel Tretyakov. His wife passed away 3 months after.
With the death of Pavel Tretyakov, the gallery did not simply lose its patron – it lost a father. On making his last will and testament in 1896, Pavel Tretyakov decided that he must take care of his ‘child’.
Beginning of works on the creation of a new facade of the Gallery on the project of V.M.Vasnetsov
The beginning of the first Russian revolution
Now the museum - studio is situated there. It keeps a special atmosphere of the artistic studio of the beginning of the last century.
It was at this time that the Gallery underwent significant changes – the so called ‘period of Grabar’s Reform.’
The beginning of the World War I
Was purchased "Portrait of Alexander Pushkin" by O. Kiprensky
The February revolution. The overthrow of the autocracy in Russia
On June 3, 1918, the Sovnarkom (Board of People’s Commissars) issued a Decree declaring the Tretyakov Gallery "the State property of the Russian Federative Soviet Republic".
The formation of the USSR
Decree on the museum network was adopted with the aim of concentrating museum collections. The gallery had transferred the paintings of foreign artists to the museums of Western art. At the same time, several prominent Moscow museum collections of Russian painting were affiliated to the Gallery
The arrival of the collection of the Rumyantsev Museum
Директором Галереи назначен Н.М.Щёкотов
Alexey Shchusev was appointed director of the Tretyakov gallery.
The arrival of the collection of the I.S.Ostroukhov's Museum of icons and painting
The church of St. Nicholas in Tolmachi is closed
Michael Kristi was appointed director of the Tretyakov gallery.
Admission of unfinished paintings of K. P. Briullov "the Siege of Pskov" from Russian museum
A special room was built for the painting by A. A. Ivanov "The Apparition of Christ to the People (The Apparition of the Messiah)"
Completion of the construction of a new two-story building on the north side of the main building - the "Shchusev building"
Polikarp Lebedev was appointed director of the Tretyakov gallery. He was held this position twice - in 1939-1941 and in 1954-1979.
Germany's attack on Poland. The beginning of the World War II
Alexander Zamoshkin was appointed director of the Tretyakov gallery.
1941 - 1945
Following the first weeks since the start of hostilities during the Great Patriotic War the main task of the State Tretyakov Gallery’s staff was to save and preserve the unique memorial of national culture. The front line was moving closer. The enemy was bombing Moscow.
Since the first weeks of the Great Patriotic War in the State Tretyakov gallery began a colossal work on evacuation and dismantling of exhibits. The 4th of July began packing of the most valuable works
Beginning of restoration of the buildings of the Gallery damaged by the bombings during the Great Patriotic War
Preparing of the exported collections for return to Moscow
On 17 May 1945, a week after Victory Day, the new exposition at the Gallery was opened – on display were more than 2500 works of art.
The Soviet victory in the Great Patriotic war
The State Tretyakov gallery reopened a week after the end of the Great Patriotic War
Tretyakov gallery's centennial anniversary
Was approved the project of the building of the National Art Gallery of the USSR (the future building of the Tretyakov gallery on Krymsky Val)
In this house the artist spent his last three decades of his life (1903-1933).
Georgiy Dionisovich Kostaki donated to the Gallery a large art collection, including many famous works of Russian avant-garde
Games of the XXII Olympiad in Moscow
Yuri Korolyov was appointed director of the Tretyakov gallery.
The beginning of the expansion of the Gallery building in Lavrushinsky Lane and the completion of the building of the State Art Gallery of the USSR (the future Tretyakov Gallery on the Krymsky Val)
The integration of the State Tretyakov Gallery and the State Picture Gallery of the USSR, the closure of the main building of the Tretyakov Gallery in Lavrushinsky Lane for almost a decade made the building on the Krymsky Val the only exhibition area of the museum
Was completed the construction of the Depository – the Gallery’s storage facilities – is where works, not on display, are stored and is linked to the other side of the main Gallery building.
By the middle of the 1980s it was evident that the Tretyakov Gallery needed to expand its premises. The renovation of the old buildings and the construction of new ones on Lavrushinsky Lane is, in many ways, associated with the name of the Gallery’s director Yu.K. Korolyov.
Reconstruction of the main building and joining of memorial museums – Victor Vasnetsov Museum, Apollinary Vasnetsov Memorial Flat, House-Museum of Pavel Korin, Anna Golubkina Memorial Studio
Beginning of Gorbachev's policies of glasnost ("openness") and perestroika ("restructuring")
The end of construction of the Engineering Building. The building’s name, built during the Gallery’s latest reconstruction, is taken from the engineering maintenance services which maintains the museum’s running (climate, security).It also has a conference hall for scientific conferences and symposiums.
Dissolution of the Soviet Union
Valentin Rodionov was appointed director of the Tretyakov gallery.
Resumption of services in the church of St. Nicholas in Tolmachi
In April 1995 was opened an updated exposition of classical Russian art in the main building in Lavrushinsky lane. The exposition increased by ten halls.
The first reference to the wooden «Church of the Saint Nicholas» is contained in the Patriarchal Order’s parish book of 1625.
Opening of the first exhibition of XX century art in the Tretyakov Gallery on the Krymsky Val
"Golden map of Russia" - a cycle of exhibitions of the best works from the collections of regional museums
The 150th anniversary of the Tretyakov Gallery. The anniversary was marked by a number of major exhibition projects.
A new full version of the exposition "The Art of the XX Century". The main accent was made on the diversity of styles in the 20th-century painting.
Irina Lebedeva was appointed director of the Tretyakov gallery.
Isaak Levitan. To the 150th anniversary
L. P. Talochkin's collection transferred to the Tretyakov gallery
Valentin Serov. An exhibition to mark the 150th anniversary of his birth
Zelfira Tregulova was appointed director of the Tretyakov gallery.
Ivan Aivazovsky. For the 200th anniversary